Thursday, April 16, 2009

Rest in Peace, Vern Cantwell

Wednesday, April 15 our friend and bike mentor, Vern Cantwell suddenly passed away. He was on his weekly Wednesday night bike ride when he suffered a massive heart attack. His two fellow bike riders tried to revive him, but were unsuccessful.
Vern and his wife Donna entered into my life a year ago when training for the Danskin. Becky introduced them to Tracy, Kim, and I so that we could ride on Wednesday nights with some experts. They both took us under their wings to help us achieve our first triathlon.
Vern had an infectious smile and zest for life that radiated to those around him. He was the perfect example of how a husband should love his wife, family, friends, and God. The last thing that he said to Donna(his wife) before hopping on his bike that Wednesday evening was , "I'm gonna go ahead if you're going to be ok." I continually pray for this family as they grieve and try to heal with time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having known Vern for several years, I know that he was a loving parent. I pray for his soul to rest in peace.

Jan