Sunday, November 16, 2008

San Antonio 1/2 Marathon!

I finished, 2:38:01 a 12:04 pace! I was so worried about running the 1/2 marathon because I had only been running once a week which consisted of mainly a 3 mile run and a one time long run of 8.5 miles. I had never done a race by myself(without one of my friends motivating me), but when one of the others runners reminded me I wasn't by myself that I was running with 33,000 other runners, 17K for the 1/2 marathon, I didn't feel so alone.
The day started off fairly normal with a bit of cold in the air, 34 degrees. It didn't take long to warm up. Of course, no run would be the same without me having some toilet story. Before the race, I stood in line for the port-o-pot. When a lady exited she said "there is no toilet paper" and I said " no, problem I'll just shake". We'll I went in needing to go #1 and instead I got #2. I had nothing to wipe with except for first some peppermints wrappers(I wouldn't suggest this), which didn't go over well. So, I thought what on my body can I go without. So, I used my free gloves I got in my good bag. Off I went, hoping I didn't smell like pooh. Along the course there were three people that kept me motivated: one a son pushing his father in a wheelchair, another an elderly man wearing an army hat running with an American flag, and a woman who I only saw the back of her shirt that said "Run like a Mother". All of these individuals, helped me keep my eye on the goal of finishing and kept my mind off my legs and knees of hurting. Before I crossed the finished line, there was an elderly man laying on the ground with EMS crews all around him. I never heard if he made it or not, but I pray he did. This was not the thing you really want to see when you want to jump for joy that you finished the event, instead it left you somewhat solemn for a racer.

On our way to pick up my packet on Saturday, Kennedy was in the car trying to put gold fish between her toes and eating them that way. You can't really tell that is what she was doing, but here is her photos:


While in San Antonio, we stayed with Laura and Kenneth. I thought this was a cute photo of Laura with Kylie and Kennedy and Kylie sharing a chair.

1 comment:

Powers Family said...

Kim - Nathan used to eat goldfish and cherrios out of his toes, too. Wonder why that's so fascinating?

Loved your post!! Great job on the 1/2 marathon!!